Wednesday 4 January 2012

Waiting... waiting... waiting...

The same subject that had me so secure last month, is the one making me insecure this month.

Yes, I signed a contract to have my novella published. Yes, I emailed it off. Yes, Thanksgiving and Christmas have got in the way, and yes I understand that to publish an ebook takes a lot less time and effort.

But, I have heard nothing from the publisher, at all! 

I've been writing and submitting work for a very long time. Although I've had limited success, I pride myself on being professional. I know that I shouldn't send off manuscripts accompanied by my kids crayon drawings as a suggested book cover. I know I shouldn't include an A4 page of quotes from friends and family saying how much they loved my story. And  I know that I shouldn't send hourly emails to check the contract arrived (I didn't - I sent one after a couple of weeks and got a reply).

But now what?

Should I send another email asking when I should expect the first proofs? Should I wait a little bit longer because, after all, Thanksgiving and Christmas are big holidays close together in the US? Should I wail and eat lots of chocolate, convinced that I've made a fool of myself by telling everyone I was going to be published when I'm not, not ever, not ever ever?

What would you do?

Insecure Writer's Support Group blog hop members


  1. I like to err on the side of being too patient, so I'd probably wait a bit longer. But that's just me.

    Nice to meet you, btw. New follower here.

  2. Give them one more week and then call or email. Some places really shut down over the holidays. But as you said, one should always act professional - be nice if they at least acknowledged that they received it and are making progress!

  3. Why not call, as suggested by Alex. Nothing wrong in that.
    All the best.

  4. I would definitely call. Hope you have a great 2012.

  5. inluvwithwords - thanks for stopping by and following. I'm practising patience... I'm keeping my hands full with Christmas chocolates!

    Alex - thanks for the time-scale advice.

    Vertimagal - it's nice to see new names popping up. When I contact, it'll be email. I'm too tight to phone the US from the UK!

    Murees - thanks Murees, I hope you do too.

  6. That would drive me mad too. You know my answer, right? Chocolate. Also, you aren't being rude to check in nor are you being unrealistic to realize everyone's slow moving during and even after the holidays. Faith and chocolate, I say.
    Hang in there.

  7. I would contact them one way or another. Just say you wanted to make sure they got it. Sometimes email gets lost.

  8. I don't know about this area. I can just say that I am crossing my fingers and sending you good wishes. :)

  9. Robyn - faith and chocolate, the perfect combination.

    Cindy - I suppose if I'm polite enough, I won't annoy them. Thanks for dropping in.

    K.D. - another new face, welcome. And thanks - fingers crossed is definitely what I need right now.

  10. I'd probably check their submission guidelines to see how long it normally takes. If it's been longer than their stated time, then, I'd probably call. They're human too. If you're polite I don't think you'd do any damage. Heads up!

  11. Hi Annalisa - I'd go with the waiting a little longer, especially as you know they received the contract back etc., so things are probably rolling, if only frustratingly slowly. Enjoy those chocolates in the meantime and perhaps considering making a polite enquiry about timings in a couple of weeks or so if you still haven't heard? x

  12. Interesting post! I've only heard about writers (including myself) submitting their manuscript and waiting for long periods before hearing back - rejection or acceptance. In your case, if I have this right, your manuscript has been accepted? First, congratulations, this is an awesome acheivement! I would wait a wee while more because it's holidays and then you should hear back. If not, then a nudge might be in order.

    All the best for 2012! :)

  13. I've never been in this situation, but if I were I'm pretty sure I'd eat chocolate and wait a little longer.

  14. I'd put faith in that they'd get back to me. They did make you sign a contract. Like everyone else said, give it a bit more time then contact them.

    The publishing world works very, veeerrrry slowllly.

  15. Right, I've decided that obviously chocolate is the way to go! They originally said that they'd start marketing a month before the publishing date (14 Feb), so I've decided - after considering all your great advice - to wait until 14 Jan to send an email just checking that the schedule is still on time. That should be polite and non-pushy enough, shouldn't it.

    Now I'm off to check out all the new people who are following me! Cheers guys - I knew I could count on you!

  16. I haven't been in this situation either, but I think I would wait a bit longer as well. I can imagine it is very difficult to wait though! Best of luck and I hope you hear something soon. So glad to meet you through the IWSG! :)

  17. I think that's a cracking decision, timewise.

    I'm right there with you... chocolate to hand.

    Great blog and thanks for the follow :)

  18. Wait! Let them get organised after the holidays.I can understand how nervous all this can be for you...

    But I just want to say, it looks great to me. Congrats on your signing a contract for your novella.

    14th Feb still sounds a long way off. 14th Jan sounds cool for sending an e-mail!

    Let it flow.

    Grab the "positive" by the reigns-live and enjoy life in that waiting.


Please comment - I love a good chat!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.