Tuesday 26 June 2012

Be inspired!

The marvellous Patsy Collins has tagged me in this award --->

I have to answer the following questions, and then pass them on to five other people. As I can't resist talking about Cat and The Dreamer, how could I refuse!!





1.  What gave you the idea for your book?
I had several strands that came together. I day-dream, and it seemed a great way to tell the inside story of a character. And around the time I started the book there were several unrelated stories in the press about suicide pacts. I also had a vivid image of Cat. After a while all these parts morphed together.
 
2.  How long did it take to write overall?
I'm a very slow writer. I've got drafts dated 2008, and I submitted in 2011.
 
3.  What kept you going when you were half way through?
I just enjoyed writing this story. I loved the character of Julia, and I wanted to see where she'd end up. It was at the half-way point (a couple of drafts written) that I realised it would probably never be published because of its length - this was just before the explosion of ebooks, epublishers and self-publishing, which has opened up the market for short stories and novellas. That thought meant I was free to write the story, and the ending, that I really wanted to write without worrying about submitting. I eventually submitted to my publisher because I really wanted someone to read my story! 
4.  Are any of your characters based on real people, even though you have to say they aren’t?
Some of them are conglomerations of several people, but there's always a piece of me in every character - I can't help it! 
 
5.  Did you ever wonder if you’d have the work published?
As I said above, I knew it wouldn't be. You cannot begin to imagine my amazement, shock, joy I felt when I received the acceptance.
 
6.  When you’ve had one book published, do you feel under pressure with the next one?
Cat and The Dreamer has only been published for four months, so I don't at the moment. Perhaps I should - the rise of self-publishing ebooks has meant people can bring out a new book every few months, and I'd love to keep people interested in me. This question has pressured me!
 
7.  Would you write in a different genre next time, or do you always stick with what you know?
I've written crime, paranormal, romance and psychological - but in quite a subtle way. For example, a story I would call crime focuses on the baddie, and there's no comeuppance! 
8.  Do you prefer writing a novel, or short stories?
Short stories and novellas. The longest novel I've written is 58,000 words.
 
9.  Do you use everyday happenings in your writing?
Yes. Always. Even my paranormal stories are firmly placed in the real world.
 
10.  If your book was to be on t.v. who would play the lead male and female roles?
Ooh... um... Adam would be Benedict Cumberbatch. Julia is possibly Billie Piper (my original choice would be Natalie Imbruglia in her Neighbours days, but that's probably a little too historical). I don't watch soaps but I think anyone who successfully plays a bitchy soap character could happily become Cat.

And now I need to tag five people. I'm not sure if the idea is to ask new questions, so I'm going to pass on the same questions. I've chosen completely randomly, so apologies if I keep picking on you (my memory is so poor I could select the same person every single time and not realise!). Feel free not to take part, I won't be offended.


Teresa F Morgan at The Wittering Woman
Marta Szemik at Marta Szemik
Kyra Lennon at Write Here, Write Now
Michael Abayomi at Michael Abayomi
J. A. Bennett at J.A. Bennett
 

61 comments:

  1. Thanks Anna, for passing this award along to me. Can't wait to come up with my answers. Yours were great and truly inspirational. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great answers! I always love reading how writers come up with stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry, I'm a slow writer as well. And never thought I'd be a published author, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always amazed at the speed some people can write a novel - I'm glad I'm not the only slow writer!

      Delete
  4. Good Answers! And thanks for the tag!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent answers! Thanks for the tag!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the award. Those are really great answers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really do dabble in a lot of different genre's! Congrats on the award!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My stories hint at those genres, but I wouldn't compare them to writers in those genres.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the tag. And congrats on the award! I'll try to participate, though some of the questions are not applicable to me yet. lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you'd be able to slant the questions to suit you, Teresa.

      Delete
  9. This is a great tag. I love how you submitted expecting a rejection and got an acceptance instead.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how fun! Thanks for the tag. You're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice to learn more about you! I wish I could write short stories. I find it tougher than writing full length novels... altho my novels do tend to say around the 60k word mark. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The styles are so different - I can say all I want to in 30,000 words, which leaves another 60,000 for describing the weather and the MC's hair style!

      Delete
  12. I absolutely Love Benedict Cumberpatch. What a great choice!

    I imagine you're still riding that high Annalisa, from being published. A feeling you deserve. You kept going with a story you believed in and that's what writing is about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roll on the next series of Sherlock!

      I popped over to your new blog, it looks really good!

      Delete
  13. great award! and love your answers, finding out more about you! lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. '2. How long did it take to write overall?
    I'm a very slow writer. I've got drafts dated 2008, and I submitted in 2011.'

    Hey, soul sister.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hah! cool I'm a terribly slow writer too I'd say I started some time in 2008 too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're 'considered' writers! Thanks for stopping by :-)

      Delete
    2. no prob cool site ;) in the words of a certain governator ... I'll be back!

      Delete
  16. Congratulations on your award! I really loved reading your answers.

    I do a little short story writing, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I didn't realise you wrote so much! Gratz on the award :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly short stories, but 4 novellas and 3 novels (novels need a lot of work before I even consider sending them out, if ever!)

      Delete
  18. Nice self-interview! I found myself nodding along with several of your answers - I totally "get" your approach to writing---especially the part about never expecting to be published.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my way of protecting myself against rejection!

      Delete
  19. Congrats on your award. Nice to hear the story behind your story. I'm sure none of us can help putting a little of us in each piece we write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it easier to take inspiration from myself than from others, and I don't have to worry about people spotting themselves in my stories!

      Delete
  20. Great answers (and sorry to pressurise you with question 6)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, not pressured... encouraged to write a bit quicker and get my arse into gear :-)

      Delete
  21. Congrats on the tagging, 58000 words...wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, that 58,000 is about 20,000 too short! Thanks for the follow.

      Delete
  22. You may not be speedy, but if all your stories are like Cat and the Dreamer then they are well worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ooh, great questions, great answers :) I keep my stuff in the real-world too. I'm not sure if I would ever be able to write too far outside my own experience, but for now I'm okay with that.

    Sarah Allen
    (my creative writing blog)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely wouldn't be able to imagine other worlds!

      Delete
  24. Interesting that you prefer writing shorter works. My short stories always seem to want to turn into novels!

    Allison (Geek Banter)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was always hoping to write a longer story, but now I'm just happy to write a story I love, whatever the length.

      Delete
  25. Congrats on the award. Great answers that truly inspire to give our best shot, and it's better to write slow and produce quality work than the shoddy ones that some authors seem to be selling.
    Short story and novella writers are an endangered species, at least in terms of the traditional publishing houses. That makes your success that much more special. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope short stories and novellas never die - they are wonderful things to read and to write!

      Delete
  26. Fun interview! Always nice to learn more about fellow writers :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I admire anyone who can stick with it to the end of a full length novel. I get plot-panic three-quarters of the way through and have trouble finishing. I've got three novels in this state currently. Benedict Cumberbatch... mmmm... nice choice and I love that word 'conglomerations'. I must find a way of using it in conversation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plot-panic is a great description of it. I feel that too. I should have posted a picture of Mr Cumberbatch, shouldn't I?

      Delete
  28. Congratulions on the award and on the book. Interesting reading the answers to your questions.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nice answers. I'm glad your book got published after a long gestation, it shows that it was a project worth sticking with. I'm adding it to my TBR list! And yes, I totally remember Natalie Imbruglia when she was in Neighbours. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick. Natalie will always be remembered by men of a 'certain age' lol!!

      Delete
  30. Hi Annalisa - great replies to Patsy's questions .. the Cat and the Dreamer sounds so interesting .. the way you've described it ..

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Please comment - I love a good chat!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.