Sunday 29 June 2014

Jet-lagged, book-style

I confess, I don't read as many books as I ought to. For the simple reason that once I start, everything else stops.

I had a day alone yesterday. A couple of weeks ago, I bought Life After Life by Kate Atkinson, so I settled down with a cup of tea and a couple of biscuits and began to read. And read, and read and read.

The book is 600 pages long.

I read it.

That's not a boast - the boast is that I also managed to take the dog out for two walks, and didn't forget to eat... although my blood sugar was a bit low as I cooked my dinner (and it was horrible, but my bad cooking is another story!)

But - wow! - when I finished, and looked up, I felt as though I'd been awake for a week. It took me a moment to remember who and where I was, that I wasn't Ursula, and I wasn't dying all over the place. If you haven't read it, I recommend it - although it's a book that you either love or hate, judging by the reviews on Goodreads. If you've read my stuff, then you're probably in the right frame of mind to handle Life After Life.

(Wow, now that sounds like a boast, doesn't it? A really big-headed one, at that... If you like me, you might like this international best-selling author hehehe.)

Today, as I write this, I still have that vaguely spacy feeling, and I'm not sure I'll be an effective human being. I'm slightly kicking myself I didn't slow down and savour the story. But I can't do that. When I have a new book, I devour it - I can't wait, and I can't stop, and I could never read one chapter a night. If I do that, then I'm not enjoying the book so much.

I should probably go and do all the housework I didn't do yesterday.

How do you like to read?
Are you a chapter a night, curled up in bed reader?
Or do you binge?



26 comments:

  1. You read an entire 600-page book in one day!? Damn. It takes me a month to do that LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think, in this case, you need to read it quite quickly to keep all the threads in your head. You'd be completely confused if it took you a month, and have to keep reading backwards!

      Delete
  2. Wow that was a real reading feast! I tend to read for half an hour or so when I go to bed. When I'm on holiday I allow myself to wallow in a good book more though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky to have the whole day to myself - it doesn't happen very often. Holiday reading is the best!

      Delete
  3. I think that's awesome! I love binge-reading, although lately I haven't had the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely feel enveloped by the fictional world, which is where the jet-lag comes from, I suppose.

      Delete
  4. If I like a book I binge. Sometimes I also like a book but I don't have a lot of time and I read a chapter at a time. So I am a very unreliable reader. But if I had a choice, I would devour a book too. I am just happy you had the time to enjoy the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have time to binge, although if I love a book I tend to binge in blasts. Otherwise, I sneak a few hours in at night while the hubby sleeps. :) 600 pages though? That would have to be incredibly good to hold my attention.

    shahwharton.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once started a book at night because I couldn't sleep, and finished it at 5 in the morning - I definitely felt rough the next couple of days after that.

      Delete
  6. Hi Annalisa - I'm also reading Life After Life after seeing the author discuss it on Sky Arts (see http://janeayres.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/kate-atkinson-on-south-bank-show-author.html) and agree it's terrific! I'm reading it bit by bit tho, which may not be the best way for this story, and I'm a slow reader. Love the concept. I'm also reading The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert and totally engrossed by it. Highly recommend that one too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, thank you for posting the link. I knew I'd seen it mentioned somewhere, but couldn't remember where. After I've caught up with these comments, I'm going to watch that :-)

      Delete
  7. Hi Annalisa,

    It would take me several days to read 600 pages. That book certainly grabbed your attention. I know of spaced out feelings. I'm feeling that way at gone two in the morning.

    All the best,

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually awake a couple of hours later - I hope you got some sleep :-)

      Delete
  8. I agree that this book is bingeworthy. I did not read it quite as quickly as you, but almost. And it is a book that sticks with you. I remember finishing it and declaring that I'm not a writer. Kate Atkinson is A Writer - such command of the English language. I go in spurts with books - most at a leisurely pace until something grabs me. That's fun to go on that ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Joanne, she is definitely A Writer. I tried to read Behind the Scenes at the Museum a few years ago, and couldn't get into it, but now I think I want to go back and try again.

      Delete
  9. That's a big book, but if it's like yours, I'd like it. :) I read all the time. I read while doing housework and any minute I can snatch during the day. At night, I like to relax before I go to sleep by reading in bed. Sometimes I do end up reading too long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHILE doing your housework? I'm impressed. If I lose concentration while doing housework, I hoover up the cat, kick over buckets of water and drop cups on the floor!

      Delete
  10. That's impressive that you read a 600-page book so quickly; even I couldn't do that. I usually read on the bus and the train during my daily commute; that way I can avoid eye contact with weird people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could read while travelling, but I get really sick. I used to be able to, but started getting travel sick when I was about 10.

      Delete
  11. dang girl, speed demon! I tend to find time at the gym, during appointments, or when my hubs is watching a show I don't care for. but this sounds like a great book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was at the doctor's recently and was impressed by the number of people reading. Granted, it might have been because my doctor is really slow, and these people were more aware of the waiting time than I was!

      Delete
  12. Yeah I also like to read whole stories in single days, but am teaching myself to read chapters at a time, or I'd never read, because I almost never have whole days available any more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It depends on the book! Right now I'm a chapter or so a night. But when I really get into a book I binge read. Carry it with me and read whenever I can. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please comment - I love a good chat!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.