Saturday 10 March 2012

Lucky 7 meme... and some other stuff

Caitin at All About Growing Up and Becoming a Famous Author tagged me in this meme, which I've been following around bloggerland and really enjoying. I love the title of Caitin's blog - it reminds me of all the dreams I had as a child.

Here are the rules:

1. Go to page 77 of your current MS.
2. Go to line 7.
3. Copy down the next 7 lines - sentences or paragraphs - and post them as they're written. No cheating.
4. Tag 7 authors.
5. Let them know.


I'm currently working on a collection of novellas, so I put them all together to figure out which one was page 77.


He edges forward. My breath is shallow, constricted. My face is warm. Why did he have to bring this up? Why couldn’t we just go off into the sunset, happily ever after? In years to come, once we’d settled down and had five children and a dog and a farmhouse in Yorkshire, he could turn round and say, I know it was you.
I move closer and bow my head. My tears are real. They fall down my face in single file. Murray reaches to touch my shoulder. I can’t think straight.
“Did you do it?” he asks hesitantly, barely audible. He draws deep, slow breaths.


This excerpt is quite near the end of the second story. It's lucky I didn't have to paste a page later - it would have given away the ending!

I'm going to cheat slightly, and not tag anyone. I know this is naughty, and that if no one passed the tag on, there wouldn't be a game. But I've read so many, that I know a lot of people have already done this. And I hate missing anyone out of the fun. So, if you want to play, consider yourself tagged. And you're welcome to call me a cheat!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And now for the other stuff. I rely on email notifications to keep me returning to blogs I've commented on, but I've noticed that on the pop-up comments box that a lot of blogs use, the option to be emailed has disappeared. I just wanted to say, officially - because this has been bothering me for a few days - that I'm not ignoring you. I'd love to know if you replied to my comment, I just haven't figured out a way to remember which blogs I commented on!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Even as I type, I'm not sure if I want to do this, but here's one of the pictures from my recent photo shoot, which I mentioned in my last post. I'd prefer not to have any comments about it, because I really don't think I come out well. This is the picture Hubby thinks is the nicest.

I had hoped to have my photo taken next to Smeaton's Tower, but workmen were putting the scaffolding up  for its annual clean. Perhaps that's why the day felt so wrong - the image I had in mind wasn't possible.

Anyway... this is Smeaton's Tower...
 





33 comments:

  1. Okay, I won't. Anyway, what I really really want to know is ... did she do it? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool seven lines - and not to copy Sarah, but - DID she do it? :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you look fantastic! But you can ignore that if you want. I love your excerpt! I wanted to read on! You're awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, intriguing excerpt! Hope I'll be able to download the rest onto my Kindle one day! And nothing at all wrong with the pic - very nice indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping it will be available at some point, I just can't seem to stop fiddling with it.

      Delete
  5. I think it's perfectly fair not to tag anyone directly. Makes it easier. Nice excerpt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it hard to spread it out and not just pick the same people all the time!

      Delete
  6. Wow, this is fabulous! Very intriguing, I can't wait to read it :)

    Sarah Allen
    (my creative writing blog)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The photo is nice! Even if you couldn't get the lighthouse in the background, the ocean is cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex. Yes, the ocean is lovely - just not as blue in the photo as it could be!

      Delete
  8. I do like the photo. Beautiful view:)
    Interesting 7 lines.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, not fair! I want to know what's going on!
    The picture looks great, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. She did it! I'm sure she did but WHAT did she do?

    I can understand that not being able to have the pictures taken at the location you had in mind is disappointing and agree that's probably why you're not happy with them.

    Personally I think you look ... you don't want to know, so I'll keep my opinion to myself ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not telling!

      Thanks for your comments on that other thing too :-)

      Delete
  11. You look stunning! And be proud of the slender full body shot. Unless I could find some spanx made of steel, all I am going for are shoulder shots!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Quite an emotional scene... I enjoyed it... but I want to know what she supposedly did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the time I got to writing that part, I was full of emotion too!

      Delete
  13. That was a brilliant excerpt! If a random passage can be that complex emotionally and-on-the-edge-of-me seat tense, I am *really* interested in reading the rest! Let me know what happens with the novella/novella collection :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drea. This project will definitely be published, one way or another - I've put too much into it to let it linger in a drawer!

      Delete
  14. Yeah, I'd be happy with that photo too. Then again, I hate 99% of photos of me, I just don't feel that I'm photogenic at all. I feel a lot better in the flesh than I do in most photos. ;) Plus, in heaps of photos I just look like a different person. Put two photos of me side by side and sometimes it's hard to believe they're the same person. It's weird.

    Great excerpt! Definitely makes me want to read earlier...and later ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How weird that you can look so different in your photos! Photos do lie, after all.

      Re the excerpt, thanks :-)

      Delete
  15. Intrigued by your story now! I think it's very brave to have done this, I'm not sure I could have.

    I know you didn't want comments on the photo Annalisa, but I really like it. You look lovely and you look relaxed which is nice to see :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love showing off my work. It's actually quite liberating when it's just a few lines and not the whole thing. I'd love to read 7 lines from your WIP - consider yourself tagged, if you choose to accept :-D

      Thanks for your comments on the photo too.

      Delete
  16. Gah, I'm so excited for when your novellas come out! And as far as comments go, that's why I like it when bloggers respond with e-mail, cuz then I never miss replies XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem with blogger is there are so many ways to comment and reply - if they simplified it, we'd know where we stood!

      Delete
  17. This is an excellent bit of your writing! I really liked it. Well written!

    I think you look great in the photo! I also love lighthouses. I'm hoping to photograph a couple this summer out in Oregon.

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse, co-host of the 2012 #atozchallenge! Twitter: @AprilA2Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon. I love lighthouses too, but my fear of heights means I have to appreciate them from the ground!

      Delete

Please comment - I love a good chat!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.