Friday 25 April 2014

My birthday resolutions...

On 1st December 2013, I wrote out the resolutions below, to be achieved by my birthday. This is the first chance I've had to sit down to look at them, and figure out how well I've done.


  • To figure out the business side of writing AND to not look at any stats, at all - Well, I did part of this - I've barely looked at any sales/blog/website visitor stats at all... So, it's probably a good time to have a peek, yes? As for the business side (marketing and promoting), that's something I only got round to in the last couple of months, and I'm really not sure how effective I'm being.
  • To have my next novel ready to query Yes, I sent off one novel to a competition, and one novella to a publisher in February. However, a couple of weeks ago the longlist of the competition was published, and I wasn't on it. Never mind, I'll be submitting it again soon.
  • To start a new story with the title 19 Weeks, because the more I look at it, the more I love it Not yet, but it really is a great title, isn't it? Still thinking about this one.
  • To complete two pull-ups and ten press ups (injury means both of these need a lot of work) Yes, I managed ten half press ups (on my knees) in February and now I'm working on building up to full press ups, and I've got a new strategy for the pull ups (which I may never ever manage, but I'm going to keep trying, because I'm stubborn and I want to make the boys at the gym jealous).
  • To gather the courage to update my author pic Yes, I did this in February to coincide with Cat and The Dreamer's second anniversary.
  • To have a lot of fun, not just the normal amount, but loads more! I guess. The weather was rubbish for a lot of the winter, but on the plus side, I have just been on holiday and it was amazing. You've probably seen some of the photos by now, right?
Uh, all in all, it's been a pretty successful round of resolutions. Now, what's next...?

How about you? Any current resolutions you're trying to achieve?

36 comments:

  1. I also made a list of birthday resolutions last year and I accomplished everything apart from the most important (finishing and publishing my new book). So I have two main resolutions now: finishing and publishing said book + figuring out the business side of my blog Traveling Cats (getting close, but not there yet).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with the blog, and the new book - sometimes these things take a bit longer for a reason :-)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a lot of progress to me, my friend. My current resolution is to give up soda permanently. I'm doing a so-so job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I surprised myself with how much I achieved. It definitely helps to hold yourself accountable. Good luck with the soda!

      Delete
  3. That's not bad at all!

    Funny, I wrote a list of goals in January and I looked at it yesterday...I've done a few of them, but I've got a long way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep the list somewhere obvious. I wrote a second list in January, but hid it away. Suffice to say, there is less progress on that one ;-)

      Delete
  4. Well done, Annalisa! Now, what's next, indeed?! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is another list, but that's very writing based, and involve world dominance - so it might take a bit longer.

      Delete
  5. Honestly, I can't do a pull up without any injuries plaguing me! So good on you :)

    Having lots of fun is what I prescribe to you in spades!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pull-ups are one of the hardest thing I've ever attempted. If I can do one of them, I can do ANYTHING!! Mwahahaha... And, yes, having fun is very important.

      Delete
  6. Good job! Holding yourself to goals is hard work. I'm totally impressed. And querying is hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always try to make goals I have a fair chance of achieving. That's why I've never resolved to give up chocolate, or any silliness like that :-)

      Delete
  7. I'm impressed with all you've managed to achieve. Congrats! I feel like I haven't accomplished a single thing since January LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've probably achieved a lot more than you think - and you've almost completed the A-Z, which is a huge thing in itself :-)

      Delete
  8. great job and it's not even half year yet. I still need to lose weight, should do some marketing of some sort, etc. I have not achieved any resolutions...then again my birthday is not until Oct. I have time, yeah...lots of time. I've been having fun, so what the heck. Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you write a list now, you'll have plenty of time to achieve by October! Great to hear you're having fun though - that's got to be the main thing, hasn't it?

      Delete
  9. My resolution was to become less of a workaholic. I'm afraid I'm going the other direction, toward procrastination, now... LOL

    Great job with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! As the queen of procrastination, I welcome you :-)

      Delete
  10. What a great idea. I'm doing that this birthday. I'll be 45, scary, huh?

    Curse marketing. I hate it. Kyra and I had an idea...did she tell you about it? If not, email us. We're just waiting until we have some extra time to hash out the details :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to hearing your resolutions. After hitting 40 (and still having some cards on display advertising the fact), I can't believe any age can be more scary!

      Delete
  11. This is one of those marker birthdays for me too-- 50. And yes, I'm hoping to make a few major life changes in the coming year. Scares me to death, but the possibilities and hope excite me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Major changes can be scary, but that's what gives you the edge in making it happen - it just a big burst of adrenaline rushing through you. Good luck :-)

      Delete
  12. Are those pull-ups and press-ups every day? Flippin' 'eck, girl - at your age?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, no not every day, but your comment about my age has made me want to do them every day :-p

      Delete
  13. Hi Annalisa,

    You summed it up with stating about loads of fun. Loads of fun makes everything all fit together. Fun, a positive tonic.

    I have a resolution that when my life changes dramatically in about two months time, I will savour the adventure and have loads of fun.

    Take care, dear lady.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your current blog post reflects that attitude - having things to look forward to is a huge part of being happy and fulfilled :-)

      Delete
  14. Press ups aren't easy. I'm able to do them, though. I'd like to do pull-ups, too, and I'm just as stubborn as you about trying to do them.

    I'm better at promoting, but I know I have a ways to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stubbornness is actually a positive character trait, if you know how to use it wisely. Good luck with your pull-ups, and let me know what you manage it :-)

      Delete
  15. That last one, about having more fun, is on top of my to-do list this year :)

    Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2014, My Latest post

    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you're having a lot of fun. Can't understand how I missed this comment!

      Delete
  16. I am one to think of resolutions to mean only at New Years and the start of a new year what a great way to celebrate resolutions with birthdays and achieving them is even greater! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not keen on doing things at the same time as everyone else :-)

      Delete

Please comment - I love a good chat!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.