Friday 27 April 2012

X is for Extras






My post for X was going to be the rock band Extreme, who I listened to almost on a constant loop, when I was writing my first submitted novel (submitted, but probably never to be published). However, YouTube didn't want to share their best stuff, just the easy listening selection, so I bottled it - I didn't want you to think I had bad musical taste!

So this post is about the other stuff that inspires me, the eXtras! (Hubby is disappointed I haven't used xylophone or xenophobia, but I hope you're more forgiving.)




My Manchester City mug! I like football and this is my team! (Just so you know, it's only first on this list because it's the first picture, not because it rates higher than my kids!)

My fountain pen, given to me by my uncle for my 21st birthday. I promised myself I'd only use it to sign my first published book. However, I was young and stupid and didn't realise how long it would take to have a book published (or that when I finally did, it would be an ebook with no cover to sign) - so a couple of years ago I started using it to write my first drafts, and I'm sure it adds something very special to my work.

Pretty notebooks - I've always been addicted to stationery shops. I love looking at notebooks, folders, pens, files! The notebook in this picture was a present from my son for my birthday last year. I'm waiting for ideas before I use it - I don't want to waste it - I want this to be the notebook that I compose my Booker winner in :-)

My kids. Of course. I don't write childrens stories, but what I really hope is that when they are older, they'll be interested in the things I've written. I've spent all their lives huddled in corners with pads of paper, sometimes letting them spend just a little too long on the Playstation while I finished a chapter. It would be nice to show them what I've been up to!

And Hubby. I wrote a post about him here, so I won't repeat myself. If you're interested, I'd be delighted for you to read it. Here's a gratutious link to his blog - he's a musician, by the way: Peter Crawford.

38 comments:

  1. I love notebooks too - I can;t resist them!

    Your hubby has a wonderful voice, I will listen to more of his music later when I have more time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the xtras are the best part! yes, we writers love the office depot, the smell of fresh paper, waiting for us to make it famous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always say I would rather wander a stationery store than a shoe store any day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As someone who went shopping for shoes yesterday and came back with no shoes, I completely agree!

      Delete
  4. Yes, those eXtra little things always get me:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think other people (the ones that don't write) call it having a life :-)

      Delete
  5. Of course the mug isn't the most special...you saved the best two for last!
    And, knuckle bump, I LOVE pretty notebooks! I keep one in my purse at all times. It has my grocery list right next to fabulous going to earn me millions of dollars one day plot ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get the two muddled up, or you'll have a million dollar shopping list :-)

      Delete
  6. Cool extras! But over Extreme? Over Get the Funk Out????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only ones I could get to work were 'When I First Kissed You' and 'Song for Love' - while I love the whole CD, those two don't shout Rock Chick, do they? :-)

      Delete
  7. Oh my gosh, stationary! I'm such a freak, but yes I love love love neat notebooks and crazy paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not a freak, you're apparently in very good company! This post has gone stationery mad :-)

      Delete
  8. I'm also addicted to notebooks and pens. Love learning about your extras...a great idea for today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M.J. X was difficult within my theme - I might have to write my own story beginning with X!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. BLUE MOON!!! You saw me standing alone....

      Nail-biting Monday night ahead...

      Delete
  10. I love wandering around stationery stores. We have a small independent one locally which is like an Aladdin's Cave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds wonderful. I have to make do with chains where I live.

      Delete
  11. I was going to do extras for my post. I love notebooks and stationary. I got a really special one in Turkey it's gorgeous but I'm scared to write on it the paper is the same kind used in translations of the bible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have that same first page feeling about schoolbooks. But your Turkish one does sound too wonderful to write on.

      Delete
  12. Despite the fact that I do all my writing on a computer. I prefer to brainstorm with pen and a great journal, because it is so much more inspiring. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was once given a tip for writers block, which also works with brain-storming. Use your other hand to write with - the theory is your brain is so busy trying to form the letters that the creative part is left to do it's thing without the logical side interfering... or something like that - I've probably made it sound more complicated.

      I've done it though, and it worked. A whole new side to the story appeared!

      Delete
  13. I love notebooks, too. I keep a journal for each project. Right now they're threatening to block my view of my monitor ... :-O

    Cool that your husband is a musician.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is cool, apart from the fact that I spend a lot of time at home with the kids while he's out at gigs...

      I have my notebooks balanced procariously on a shelf.

      Delete
  14. Glad you broke out the fountain pen.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry it's taken me so long to finally come by to see you. Thanks for the extras.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries - you must have had a lot of extra traffic after being highlighted on Alex's blog!

      Delete
  16. Hi Annalisa .. great post and glad you're using your Xspecial pen .. now your notebook - looking forward to your name on that XBooker list .. KidX, HusbandX - just the first X in your life .. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply, Hilary, your comments always end up in my spam!

      You used a lot more Xs here than I did in my post! Well done :-)

      Delete
  17. No worries, Annalisa - I did Xenophobia for you! Besitos, as they say here - they don't recognize our abbreviation of XXX for kisses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lizy! Although "I did xenophobia for you" is the strangest thing I've heard today :-)

      Delete
  18. I love stationery shops, too! I can't decide if I like them or bath goods shops, more. I love sniffing soaps and candles, but I can't resist a quirky little set of impeccably-designed notecards. Well, I mean I can ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved those fruit smelling erasers and pens you could buy in the 80s - the best of both worlds!

      Delete
  19. I wouldn't call this a cheat. Not even close! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please comment - I love a good chat!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.