Monday, 27 April 2015

When the Truth Comes Out... #AtoZchallenge



… we all hold our breath. We scan the group, trying to work out who knew, who didn’t, who is desperately wishing for a hole to appear in the floor so they can escape.
Lizzie, who told the truth, holds her hand over her mouth. “Oh God, I shouldn’t have said that.”
But it’s too late. We’re all staring, all wondering. And it’s Lizzie who’s wishing for that hole.
“Um,” says Sue. “I’m not sure how to respond to that.”
Rachel suppresses a giggle, suppresses a No way! I wish she’d say it out loud, because that’s exactly what I want to say.
Beside me, Helen squirms, breathing heavily. Every so often she sounds like she’s going to say something, to mount her defence. Her mouth opens, she rises up slightly and leans forward; but then she sinks back into her chair, and bows her head.
“So, are we going to talk about this?” I ask, because no one else will. I’m the sensible one, the one who’ll make sure we all get home safely after a night out, the one who keeps snacks in her handbag, the one who’s always available for every crisis. And this… this is a crisis.
No one answers. Helen’s face reddens, darkens. She looks close to tears, but no one reacts. It’s too late for that.

In years to come, we’ll probably looks back on this as the moment our friendships disintegrated.

Don't forget to check out the other challengers!

44 comments:

  1. I'm the one with snacks in her purse, too. Sad to think of a moment in time when you know something is changing and not for the good.

    Scribbles From Jenn - Visiting from the A to Z Challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Jenn, I feel sorry for them.

      Delete
  2. Hi Annalisa - I think we all have these moments in life .. it does sound a little disastrous ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too many moments, I hope, Hilary :-)

      Delete
  3. Oh Lizzie, what have you done! ~Miriam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Miriam. Sometimes it's best to stay silent.

      Delete
  4. It's sad that one misspeak can destroy friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. What came out! I can feel the emotion and tension. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how I wish I'd been a fly on the wall a moment before this. Such a powerful vignette, Annalisa - well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. I love the idea of not actually knowing what was said!

      Delete
  7. I wonder what she said...Sadly, a situation like this dissolved my friendship with two girls when I was in high school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girls have very perilous relationships, especially in their teens, Chrys!

      Delete
  8. Aww, I hope not! Friends can pull through some very tough times:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends what was said, Jennifer... ;-)

      Delete
  9. She must've really dropped the bomb.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear! Rough times to be sure. You do such a good job with flash fiction. I'll keep coming back for more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. nice built up to the concluding line, yes, friendship can be fragile sometimes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of mine definitely have, but luckily no bombshells :-)

      Delete
  12. wow, wonder what she said but it had to be big to break up the circle of friends. Excellent job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that I didn't have to decide what was said, Joanne. I would probably have been compelled to find a solution.

      Delete
  13. The truth often hurts. At least she was an honest friend.
    Keith's Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd so love to know what was said. The last line here was so sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so much fun writing about the aftermath without explaining :-)

      Delete
  15. Man, now I want to know what happened! Lisa, co-host AtoZ 2015, @ http://www.lisabuiecollard.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. What was the truth? What was the lie? I want to know more please...
    Evalina, This and that...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a game of truth or dare that went badly wrong. I thought you might say they would look back on it and laugh, but it's gone beyond that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way beyond that, Nick. I like the truth or dare angle :-)

      Delete
  18. Well done. To me this speaks of youth, and the lack of confidence to be the one who speaks out. I would like to know what the setting is for such a vignette. A secret or a confidence has been spilled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think they are quite young. Too young to realise that whatever it was probably doesn't matter.

      Delete
  19. I could keep reading to see what happens.

    Sunni

    http://sunni-survivinglife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like this one. Love your writing style.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I also like how you were accurate in writing the kids and their reactions. Once it's out, you can't put it back.

    You can find me here:
    ClarabelleRant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could see them all so clearly, especially the giggler - I'd be the giggler :-)

      Delete
  22. Oh no, so sad. You really like to go dark don't you ;) I'm dying to know what she said.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once tried to write a romance, Tasha. It did not go well. They weren't all alive by the end :-/

      Delete

Please comment - I love a good chat!