Wednesday, 22 April 2015

Stars - Hannah's Mother 3 #AtoZchallenge




(You can read the first two stories about Hannah's Mother here and here.)

I don’t like the dark, especially this dark. The walls are closing in. But I said I’d be here for her, until the end.
Her pulse quickens and diminishes while I hold her hand, as though her body is doing ferocious battle. Which of course, it is.
A few days ago, while she was still lucid, we shared memories from my childhood. She laughed at all the things that had driven her to despair when I was sixteen. “Time passes so quickly. You were so rebellious, and in the blink of an eye, you were a mother yourself.”
I barely remember being sixteen at all; I’d forgotten half of her stories.
Now, the silence shrouds us; only her rasping breath cuts through.
“It’s a beautiful night,” I say, standing by the window, peering into the cloudless sky. “The moon’s waning, high in the sky. The stars… there are so many stars.”
I feel a tear rolling down my cheek and wipe it away before I turn back. She’s looking out of the window, trying to see for herself. As I reach the bed, she holds my hand reassuringly, and smiles.

Don't forget to check out the other challengers!

17 comments:

  1. I haven't lost a parent yet. I'm afraid to know how it feels. Like your character not remembering the stories her mother is telling her. It's selfish, but I don't want to lose anymore of myself to time. My parents are this strong link to my childhood, I'm not ready to give up :)

    You can find me here:
    ClarabelleRant

    ReplyDelete
  2. poignant. but glad she can talk and her mom hears and she can be saying goodbye in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so sad. I had to fight back my own tears. That line about the stars was beautiful and powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so hard to read without tearing up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad. Her mom remembering the stories is so telling as to what a sweet mom she is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so sad, but beautifully written

    Rachel Pattinson
    Rachel's Ramblings - Join me for writing, tea and cake

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Mesmerizing and enthralling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mom's will never forget their kids and their stories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness,what a poignant piece.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sad time, but I really feel the warmth of the connection between them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thankfully I haven't had to deal with a seriously/terminally ill parent, but you really evoke the emotions of what I can only imagine is one of the worst times in a family's life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This feels so real. It's so true that parents see their child's life so differently. Time passes more quickly when you are older. Really nice piece.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Annalisa .. I can see this .. the reassuring hand and feeling that a mother gives, while a daughter does too as she takes on that role ... something I encountered with my mother .. lovely writing .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Please comment - I love a good chat!