Tuesday, 7 April 2015

Future Tense #AtoZchallenge




I’ll hold her in my arms tomorrow; she’ll wrap her tiny fingers around mine. I’ll be amazed that someone so new can make my heart ache with such love.
We’ll call her Lily, selected from the list of names I've kept tucked in my pocket since we discovered I was having a girl. We’ll bring her home from the hospital and nurture her; we’ll watch her grow, sit up, stack building blocks, take her first step, say her first word.
She’ll have long strawberry blonde hair, and I’ll plait it for her on her first day of school, I’ll curl it for her first sleepover. I’ll slip turquoise grips into it for prom, and help her zip up her dress.
On the day she goes to university, I’ll pretend not to cry; although I’ll have suspiciously puffy eyes. Steve will laugh at me, but his voice will crack. Neither of us will want to let her go.
“Oh Mum,” she’ll say. “I’ll be back at Christmas. You’ll hardly have time to miss me.” But her arms will draw us in for one last hug.
She’ll graduate; she’ll find a job that’s not quite her perfect job but good enough. “A stepping stone,” she’ll say, using my pet phrase without even realising.
She’ll have plans: travelling, a year working in New Zealand, to see her dress designs on the catwalks.
But her plans will be interrupted. “Mum, I've met someone.”
“Mum, I’m getting married.”
“Mum, I’m having a baby.”
And, too soon, my granddaughter will wrap her tiny fingers around mine.

Don't forget to check out the other challengers!

30 comments:

  1. That was beautifully written, Lisa. I've been thinking in "future tense" a lot lately, about settling down and having kids and dealing with their needs and whatnot. *shudders* :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. Settling down isn't that bad, you know...

      Delete
  2. That is lovely, such an uplifting and wonderful piece. A great way to illustrate future tense.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tasha. I like to experiment with language sometimes.

      Delete
  3. Hi Annalisa .. brilliant ... loved the way you created the story line and giving it that future tense illustration .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very poignant and well written Annalisa. Future tense can definitely evoke an emotional response.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very interesting way of writing.

      Delete
  5. sweet story and you captured it all in such a tight style. Fabulous F

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne. This length was made for me, I think :-)

      Delete
  6. That was a very sweet little story :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, that was sweet.

    ~Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
    Member of C. Lee's Muffin Commando Squad
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very cyclical story, this was quite sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love circles. I've recently tried it in a novella - I think it worked well, but no one wants to publish it yet :-)

      Delete
  9. What a lovely story :)! Time always seems to fly - that future will be here before we know it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's scary how quickly time is passing, I'd rather slow it down for a while!

      Delete
  10. Wow, this really moved me. I haven't read many things in the future tense before and was a bit wary of it, but this is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tizzy. It's an interesting experiment. Some times it goes wrong, and I realise I've dropped into present :-)

      Delete
  11. This is lovely, so few words describing such a long period of time. Perfectly done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura. I do like writing life cycle flash fiction - I obviously love giving myself a challenge!

      Delete
  12. This is a really lovely piece, it actually made me well up a little. I have a 10 month old daughter, and these kinds of things have been floating around in my mind. I love how it loops back around to the beginning, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy every moment of your daughter's early years, Heather, and take a lot of photos :-)

      Delete

Please comment - I love a good chat!